Followers

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Reflections on Research Teach like a Champion

I'm a little behind in my observations.  I've made changes according to the suggestions in the book teach like a Champion.  Some of the easier ones for example the set up of desks in pairs.  I have found this to be a great working solution to having to many students in a group and all talking or having their back to you when instruction is at the front of the room.  Silly as it seems this helps them be able to be fully aware of what is going on and also allows me freedom of movement within the class.  I can get close to any student without breaking the flow of the classroom.  It has also allowed me to work with them on passing out papers quickly and returning them to me to avoid wasted time.

I have especially liked the "No Opt Out".  Basically, no one is exempt from answering even when they don't know the answer.  This is accomplished simply by returning to the student once someone has answered.  It allows all the students to know they most respond to a question and they seem to be making more of an effort to do so.

Some of the teaching techniques have been a little more challenging for me to do mainly because they are habits that need to be broken.  For example standing still when giving directions so they understand this is important. "Right is Right" which is basically not accepting anything but the correct answer without saying yes that's right but adding to it or changing the wording.  It is best to continue to draw our the answers from the student till the response is correct.

I feel that some of these changes seem small but they are having an impact within the class.  It has made the class run more smoothly  and I see my students getting very engaged.  I recognize that this is not a fast process and new habits take time but I feel the payoff will be very much worth the effort and time in mastering the techniques and tools in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment